2.3.4 ./configure failure: error: cannot run C++ compiled programs

Damon Fasching damon.fasching at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 31 16:22:49 EDT 2004

Hi,

I've just installed gcc 3.4.0 on my computers (2
Debian and 2 Redahat x86 machines).  Now I would like
to install Python 2.3.4 as well.  However, configure
fails on all machines with the following message

=============
configure: error: cannot run C++ compiled programs.
If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
See `config.log' for more details.
=============

I've attached the log file.

Looking at the README that came with the distribution
I only see one comment that is related to c++, the
description of the --with-cxx=<compiler> confugure
option.  This does not seem relevant for me because I
will not write any extension modules in c++ (though I
have many in c).

==========================
--with-cxx=<compiler>: Some C++ compilers require that
main() is compiled with the C++ if there is any C++
code in the application.  Specifically, g++ on a.out
systems may require that to support construction of
global objects. With this option, the main() function
of Python will be compiled with <compiler>; use that
only if you plan to use C++ extension modules, and if
your compiler requires compilation of main() as a C++
program.

I'm sure there is a simple solution to my problem.
Does anyone know what it is...?

Thanks,
  Damon