RELEASED Python 2.3.4, release candidate 1

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Fri May 14 21:15:03 EDT 2004

    >> Why do you think the standard and near-universal ./configure
    >> && make && make install is tedious?

    Joseph> I would avoid installing applications that way, if only for the
    Joseph> fact that you can't uninstall an application.  Package
    Joseph> management exists for a reason. And once a package is created,
    Joseph> installing the application should be a snap.

Submit the necessary magic and I'm sure it would get incorporated into the
distribution.  I think the basic pieces are there.  Distutils can build RPMs
I believe.  I know Sean Reifschneider builds RPMs with some small lag time
after a release.  Perhaps what he does (a spec file?) can be incorporated
into the distribution and an extra target added to the Makefile to simplify
building it.

Skip