Dabo 3-tier desktop framework for data-aware apps

john fabiani jfabiani at yolo.com
Wed May 12 12:08:58 EDT 2004

francois lepoutre wrote:
> Hi Ed and Paul,
>
> I've seen your announcement on comp.lang.*
> Findind ex-vfpers working on python is nice,
> on wxpython. This is a superb piece of news!
>
> I was in Europython last year but found not
> one european vfp-er among the folks there.
> Engineering people mostly.
>
> My feeling was: well i'm the only one with
> the typical "business + db experience"
> that vfp-ers have have for years.
>
> Sure python offers the kind of smart
> interpreter-based dev. environment that
> the foxpro community has enjoyed for
> years.
>
> Possibly I made the wrong choice...
> Your announcement may make a change
> within the vfp community.
>
> You're right. It's about time foxpro-ers
> to commit to the python community
> and even more important to the wxpython
> user group.
>
> A general feeling about community support
> for vfp-ers, wikis are nice but mailing-lists are
> a question of choice (i definitely dislike them)...
>
> What about a forum or newsgroup kind
> of support "à la UT" with personal pictures
> and other community stuff ? and why not
> a dabo annoucement on UT first?
>
> François

I'm a newbie in python but with 20 years in VFP.  So I'm following this
project with great interest.  Why recreate what UT already has?  Just
add a new forum.  UT supports java, C# and many other forum - why not
one for DaBo?  BTW have you reviewed gnue?

I picked python because I believe it's a very close match to VFP in many
ways.  I think the classes are a match, no typing is a match, and many
other items.   Of course list, dictionary, tuples are not matches and
along with the biggy no direct access to data.  But DBAPI 2.0 looks sort
of like SPT with one exception - transactions are handled by the
connection - so no begin transaction.  Either commit or rollback.
Another interesting point is there is no buffering like VFP it's handled
by the DBM (I'm using postgres)

The thing I miss the most is creating a cursor from the data. Something
like "Select * from curreport where some_selection into cursor
curreport".  Normally I'd make a general select and then refine the data
to meet my needs.  but I'm still learning how to view the data at the
moment so maybe it will come.

I also have not discovered the way to print reports or any routines that
will generate the detail bands etc...  But I have faith that they are
out there.  I really hope that I don't have to hand code reports.