Unification of Methods and Functions

David MacQuigg dmq at gain.com
Mon May 10 16:13:47 EDT 2004

On Mon, 10 May 2004 15:08:26 +1200, Greg Ewing
<greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

>David MacQuigg wrote:
>>>In Python, staticmethods are not fundamentally necessary,
>>>full stop. We keep trying to tell you that, but it seems
>>>you have your fingers in your ears.
>>
>> I will stop this subthread right here unless you change your tone.
>
>Sorry, I take that back.
>
>I stand by the point I was trying to make, though. You
>don't need to use static methods at all in a language,
>like Python, which doesn't force you to make all functions
>a method of something.

Apology accepted.  You are welcome to participate in the discussion of
the best way to structure this introductory Animals.py example.  See
the discussion with James Moughan in another part of this thread.

I decided to write this as an exercise for the class.  See
http://ece.arizona.edu/~edatools/Python/Exercises

Your suggestions will be appreciated.

-- Dave