bags in collections - PEP 320

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sat May 1 12:14:15 EDT 2004

In article <c6rj8i$6i2$1 at beta.qmul.ac.uk>,
Peter Dobcsanyi  <peter at designtheory.org> wrote:

>    - ? bag (only if use cases established)
>
>To show why bags are important for us and, in general, for discrete
>mathematicians, here is the definition of the most important type of
>designs. A binary block design is a multiset (that is a 'bag') of
>subsets of a 'base' set; the elements of the base set are called
>'points' and its subsets are called 'blocks'. (Personally, I prefer the
>name bag but most mathematicians use multiset.) A non-binary block
>design is one whose blocks can also be multisets.

"Use case" in this context refers more to the question of whether a
given feature should be included as part of the standard package rather
than expecting people to implement their own.  One important question
that needs to be answered is whether "reasonable" people would be likely
to come up with different answers for interface and implementation
(that's what killed much of the TZ support in the datetime module).

Given the lack of response to your post, I'd suggest that you send your
comments directly to the PEP author.

"I used to have a .sig but I found it impossible to please everyone..."  --SFJ