Newbie's rant's and question :) (long post)

Tim Hoffman timh at zute.net
Fri May 21 08:22:08 EDT 2004

Hi Hendy

Some things you should no. Python runs on many different OS's and as
such a single cross platform GUI is often quite difficult to
build/maintain and distribute. However Python does come with one in most
pre-build distributions (Tkinter) based on TK.

I am not sure what you mean by python is teethless.  I use python every
day for serious programming and I almost never use/build stuff that
uses a GUI. (but then I suppose data manipulation and server oriented
programming just isn't that serious ;-)

By the way I don't think many languages have native support for JPEG's

Also does the fact that C# and Java, and C++  depend on so many external
libraries and classes (ie not part of the core) mean they are scripting
languages. I mean  does C++ come with a GUI built in ;-)

If you want a good library for manipulating images try PIL.
If you want to start with a GUI, try TKinter that comes with Python
, it is probably much easier to get started with than wxWindows.

Oh and the zipfile class has been in Python since 1.6 I think.

I feel you really should spend a little more time reading the (IMHO)
quite good documentation that comes with Python, for the basics.

Regards

Tim