PEP: import version

David Fraser davidf at sjsoft.com
Mon May 17 06:16:13 EDT 2004

Christophe Cavalaria wrote:
> Manlio Perillo wrote:
>

>>Hi.
>>I'm a new user of Python but I have noted a little problem.
>>Python is a very  good language but it is evolving, in particular its
>>library is evolving.
>>This can be a problem when, ad example, a module change its interface
>>or its implementation in a fundamental way (an example: wxPython).
>>This, I think, can be resolved by allowing an user to explicitly say
>>what  version of a module it wants (sush as version numbers in Linux
>>shared objects).
>>
>>A possible syntax is this:
>>import wxPython version '2.4'
>

> I would say that the fault is on wxWindow and their constantly mutation API.
> A good API should be compatible whit older programs with each minor
> revision ( with only a few changes here and there if needed ) and would get
> a new name for each major revision.

Have you actually used it extensively? If so, I doubt you would be
saying this...
wxWiindows (now wxWidgets) doesn't have  aconstantly mutating API.
But the new major revision does have some changes. The point is you can
still get programs to work with both versions, so you don't need to have
a new name. But if a program does rely on a particular version, it would
be nice to have a way to specify it.

David