alternatives to making blocks like { } or other ??

Ville Vainio ville at spammers.com
Tue May 25 09:53:29 EDT 2004

    >> Andrei Smirnov wrote:
    >>
    >> > i do really suffer. i have to use Perl and i know that i have
    >> > no chance to convince my new boss (very smart guy) to switch
    >> > to Python because of braces.
    >>
    >> Clearly your new boss is *not* very smart, or is insane.

    Andrei> there are many smart people who are not familiar with any
    Andrei> aspect of this discussion (and other way around). so,
    Andrei> don't make judgement based on preferences.

He's probably not stupid, just prejudiced. Many people in tech
are. You just need persistence in convincing, and you may need to
demonstrate how productive/readable Python is. Never give up - even
the most stubborn will see that Python absolutely kills Perl, given
enough exposure. Just write something and show him the code. Make it
brief and elegant. The indentation issue will fall by the wayside.

    Andrei> well, there is such thing as initial impression. and
    Andrei> python initial impression for (smart or stupid) guy who
    Andrei> was using C for years is like swap brake and gas pedal in
    Andrei> the car. why should anybody do this? the real fact is that
    Andrei> C-look is everywhere and it is affecting decision-making
    Andrei> process in this way.

It might very well be affecting the decision making process, but so
should you. It's not necessary to sit silently while other people make
the decisions - programmers should complain loudly when the decisions
made are stupid, especially if they concern them.

    Andrei> not very hard to convince your friend to do it. but things
    Andrei> are very different in any industry and when you
    Andrei> interacting with your boss.

The boss is a person like anyone else, with a pair of ears and at
least half a brain.

--
Ville Vainio   http://tinyurl.com/2prnb