Idea: PYTHONPATH_VER

Fernando Perez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Sat May 15 15:36:54 EDT 2004

Peter Hansen wrote:

> Fernando Perez wrote:
>
>> Peter Hansen wrote:
>>>Having missed the discussion preceding, I'm probably off the mark,
>>>but in my experience just about everything that can be solved with
>>>PYTHONPATH can be handled with a .pth file as well, and I haven't
>>>had any need to use PYTHONPATH for quite some time as a result.
>>
>> How do you handle the fact that .pth files are only read from certain places,
>> and not others?  This problem has me currently rather stuck with gross hacks:

[snip]
> I might have some better idea how to deal with it if I'd ever had
> trouble with it.  One thing to note: I do most development on Windows.
> Perhaps, for some reason, the problems are lesser there.  (Which would
> be a little surprising, but given Linux' issues with installing
> software, perhaps not entirely unlikely.)

Thanks, Peter.  I might start a separate thread asking about this, with a
clearer description of my problem.  I don't think it's a linux issue, but
rather one of dealing with when python loads (or not) .pth files.  As I said,
it may well just be my misunderstanding of how the system really works.

Regards,

Fernando