RELEASED Python 2.3.4, release candidate 1

Hornberger, Chris Chris.Hornberger at blackrock.com
Fri May 14 15:33:03 EDT 2004

"""
What gives you the right to say this?  *I'm offended.*

Speaking of moral and ethics, there seem to be other things to care
about, especially these days.

Thomas
"""

Ok, so perhaps "moral" and "ethical" is slightly strong. Sheesh. Levity.

Point being, if the developers of Python (and Perl and .... so on) spent so much time and energy creating something cross platform, it should be used thusly. I'm not saying it's "evil" not to do so, I'm saying that if you NEED platform-specific tools (which, let's be honest, happens WAY more frequently on Windows), then use a platform-specific tool.

Forgetting extensions and addons for a moment (TCL/wxPython/Swing, etc), there's probably no better RAD/GUI tool than VB (your opinions vary, I'm sure). Nor is there a better "server side" scripting tool than Perl (I like Python better, but that's just me). Java does a wonderful job of bridging the "scriptable" and "gui-able" worlds.

Of those three tools, two are cross platform, right out of the box.

Any mechanic or tradesman will tell you, 1/2 the job is knowing which "right tool for the job" is right.

*shrugs*

Now that we're all done being offended because I used terms that were taken out of context....