Stackless python and microthreads

Michael Walter cm at leetspeak.org
Sun May 16 07:25:02 EDT 2004

Michele Simionato wrote:
> Michael Walter <cm at leetspeak.org> wrote in message news:<2gnhh0F4r098U1 at uni-berlin.de>...

>>>    Michele> of learning Zope TAL/TALES/METAL, which I do not like
>>>    Michele> that much; I would rather prefer to generate HTML pages
>>>    Michele> with Lisp macros and use real s-expressions instead of
>>>    Michele> XML/HTML, but I can't :-(
>>>What would you do with macros? [..]
>>
>>Syntactic abstraction. I would love to see macros in Python (actually
>>working on some ideas for adding them to Python).
>
> NO!! I am really talking about prefix notation: I am pro macros when
> you have prefix notations and s-expressions (i.e. HTML/XML), whereas
> I am not advocating macros in Python, which has an infix notation.
And my point was that I'm advocating macros in non-s-expression
languages, too, as I think they are equally valuable there.

> There are macro systems based on pattern matching which can work with
> infix notation (I hear Dylan has one), but I feel somewhat happier with
> Lisp-style macros where everything is a list.
I'm pretty sure (and my experiments seem to indicate that, too) that you
can have both macros defined by pattern-matching and "raw" macros which
operate on the AST in Python, too.

Yes, Dylan has macros, too, despite its syntax.

Cheers,
Michael