RELEASED Python 2.3.4, release candidate 1

David M. Cooke cookedm+news at physics.mcmaster.ca
Mon May 17 15:12:40 EDT 2004

At some point, Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com> wrote:

> "Laughlin, Joseph V" wrote:
>
>> I would avoid installing applications that way, if only for the fact
>> that you can't uninstall an application.
>
> How can you not install an application installed that way?
>
> 	rm -f $PREFIX/bin/python* $PREFIX/bin/pydoc $PREFIX/lib/python*

and now you've removed all your pythons... You also have to remember
which files it installed (Python isn't too bad, but others are worse).

I like stow (http://www.gnu.org/software/stow/stow.html). I can
install into $PREFIX/stow/python-2.3.4, then run stow in $PREFIX/stow.
It then makes appropiate symlinks. Uninstalling is as simple as 'stow
-D python-2.3.4' in $PREFIX/stow. It's written in Perl; I've had some
thought to making Python version :-)