Idea: PYTHONPATH_VER

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri May 14 07:11:39 EDT 2004

Pete Shinners wrote:

> I've been working on systems that have multiple versions of python.
> People are also trying to manage the compilation of external extension
> modules. The problem is there is no easy way to control the separate
> modules for each python version.
>
> I keep thinking having a separate PYTHONPATH environment variable for
> each version of Python would really make life easier. I have heard Perl
> started doing this sometime ago and it is in use on these same machines.

I'm not entirely clear on the need for all this version stuff
people keep talking about, but wouldn't the effect of the above
be about the same as using a .pth file in the appropriate place
for each different Python version on your machine?  Then you
can pick up different versions of different things at will
depending on which version of Python is run.

Having missed the discussion preceding, I'm probably off the mark,
but in my experience just about everything that can be solved with
PYTHONPATH can be handled with a .pth file as well, and I haven't
had any need to use PYTHONPATH for quite some time as a result.

-Peter