book on wxPython?

Andreas Kostyrka andreas at kostyrka.org
Sun May 16 03:18:31 EDT 2004

Am Sa, den 15.05.2004 schrieb Grant Edwards um 19:23:
> In article <js4hn1-mo7.ln1 at home.rogerbinns.com>, Roger Binns wrote:
>
> > Ok, now add printing, drag and drop and comboboxes.
>
> No thanks.  I don't do printing or drag and drop.  Or
> comboboxes now that I think about it.  My needs are fairly
> simple, and Tkinter would suffice nicely, except that the
> non-native look and feel seems to confuse Windows users.
That's the price you pay for having a nice API that is implemented
without "native" widgets. wxWindows (and wxPython upon it) is "more
complicated" because it has to deal with a number of native
implementations. By the way, wxWindows does a API model that is
relativly close to Windows developement ;)

> > You'll find you can't or you have to use external libraries
> > with Tkinter.
>
> Moot.  [For me.]
Not exactly. While you do not need printing and drag-n-drop, you checked
the "native look" item above. So Tk is not a sensible solution for you.

> > It isn't too much effort to make a higher level wrapper that
> > does what you want, but in all the years that wxPython has
> > been available few programmers have thought it would improve
> > their productivity, quality or other code attributes.  One
> > example you have already seen of someone who thought it would
> > is Wax.
>
> Like I said, I think Wax is a vast improvement.  I'd like to
> help out with Wax, but I'm having a tough time finding basic
> documentation on wxPython so that I can figure out why some of
> the Wax classes don't behave as intended.
Well, read the wxWidgets docs. ;)

Andreas
--
Andreas Kostyrka