Enumerating machines on the local network?

Tim Golden tim.golden at viacom-outdoor.co.uk
Thu May 6 04:36:12 EDT 2004

>Hi,
>I am a python newbie. I intend to create a small program that
>enumerates all the machines on a computer network. How would i go
>about it? Does anyone know about some specific packages that i would
>need? any links or tutorials?
>
>And is a cross-platform solution possible?

If you're on Win32, try this (shamelessly lifted from someone's
python-win32 posting):

http://tgolden.sc.sabren.com/python/win32_how_do_i/list_machines_in_a_domain
.html

Obviously (well, obviously once you've looked at it), this only
covers the NT domain situation, not an arbitrary network.

If you're on Unix, have a look at Zeroconf (http://www.zeroconf.org/) and
Howl (http://www.porchdogsoft.com/products/howl/) which may or may not be
what you're looking for.

TJG