PEP 328 update

John Roth newsgroups at jhrothjr.com
Mon May 3 15:42:16 EDT 2004

"Aahz" <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.191.1083525640.25742.python-list at python.org...
> PEP 328 (``import`` changes) has been updated and is available at
> http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0328.html
>
> Comments on the revised version are welcome.  One area where feedback is
> particularly desired is on the frequency of relative imports inside
> packages in current code, both in absolute terms and as a percentage of
> all imports.

What worries me about the PEP is the way it breaks backwards
compatability. I'd much rather see some kind of decorator (possibly
an !) to indicate an absolute import, and leave the undecorated form
exactly the way it is, at least until 3.0.

I also don't particularly see the reason for banning the relative form
from raw import statements.

The other two changes are, of course, welcome.

John Roth

http://www.pythoncraft.com/