And *this* is why you need Perl!?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Mon May 24 03:48:02 EDT 2004

Peter Hansen wrote:

> "Denouncing" it definitely was.  I wanted to find the original
> source for myself, and Google conveniently provided it.  Still
> fun reading, and quite relevant to the thread:
>
>    http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=19607&cid=1871619

if you're referring to the "I know, I'll use regular expressions" quote, jwz
was quoting himself in that thread.  from what I can tell, the original post
is here (from 1997):

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=33F0C496.370D7C45%40netscape.com&output=gplain

the next google hit is in this comp.lang.python-post from 1998:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=01bd8adb%24719bd1b0%24f29b12c2%40panik.pythonware.com&output=gplain

I used it again in my Standard Library book in 1999

    http://effbot.org/zone/librarybook-index.htm

and it has been very popular with comp.lang.python posters and Python book
authors ever since.  (some even remember to fix the broken attribution from my
post/book, but many don't, so it's easy to see who's copying from my book ;-)

</F>