Prothon vs. Python integers

Dan Bishop danb_83 at yahoo.com
Tue May 25 02:49:42 EDT 2004

Heather Coppersmith <me at privacy.net> wrote in message news:<m2k6z1ejcc.fsf at unique.phony.fqdn>...
> > Longs seemed like a needless exotic kludge to me in the 64-bit
> > world. Surely once you get to 3.7e19 you are in floating point
> > territory. I can't imagine counting anything up to 10**19.
>
> Beans?  ;-)
>
> Accountants ("bean counters," in the derogatory vernacular) will
> be displeased if Prothon silently loses pennies (or other small-
> valued currencies) after a certain amount

Or credit card numbers.  They're 16 digits long, and Microsoft Excel
has this inconvenient feature of displaying them with 15 significant
digits.

> (lira and drachma spring to mind, too).

The Italian Lira and Greek Drachma have been replaced by the Euro.

However, the *Turkish* lira hasn't, and I think it takes 500 000 of
those just to buy a candy bar.