newbie question: should I learn TKinter or skip it and learn moreadvanced toolkit?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed May 12 10:52:23 EDT 2004

On Wed, 12 May 2004 08:41:32 -0400, "Hornberger, Chris"
<Chris.Hornberger at blackrock.com> wrote:

> My intent is *not* to become professional GUI developer, but simply to
> get a handle on it, so if I write some utilities, I can provide some
> nice GUI if required. Yet of course, since I'm learning something new,
> it would be nice to learn it 'right from the start'.
>
> So: should I spend some time or TKinter or simply skip it and start
> learning GUI with something like wx or QT?

I'd go for Tkinter. If you only want to do basic GUI wrap of
existing program or even simple GUI from scratch TKInter is fine.

If you want a gentle intro to GUI basics with code in Tkinter and
a short comparison with wxPython try the GUI page of my tutorial.
It won't make you an expert but will provide enough taster to get
you started.

Alan G.
Author of the Learn to Program website