Python - open forever ?

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu May 13 09:09:47 EDT 2004

"Romans Krjukovs" <Romans.Krjukovs at lattelekom.lv> writes:

> Hi !
>
> Our company is going to start use Python widely.
> To make this reality we have to include Python in our strategy
> plans for at least 3 nearest years.
> This would be a green light to our developers to start new projects on
> Python.
>
> At the presentation of Python and its usage posiibilities in our
> home environment to the members of the project managers board,
> we got such questions:
> - There is a risk that Python can become closed and unsupported in the
> future.

Exceedingly unlikely.

> - Who can guarantee that Python will be usable and available to us
> if it is develeped and maintained by the hackers from all over the
> world without any obligations and guarantees ?

Well, noone really.  But who guarantees such things for any other bit
of software you use?

> - How we can minimize such risk ? (Become a member of some club,
>   buy licenses, support etc.)

Are you aware of the PSF?  http://www.python.org/psf/

If handing out money would make you feel more secure, that's where it
should go.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  In that case I suggest that to get the correct image you look at
  the screen from inside the monitor whilst standing on your head.