What I don't like about wxPython

Kevin Dahlhausen kdahlhaus at yahoo.com
Mon May 10 10:57:17 EDT 2004

I'll throw a plug in here for pyFltk. It overcomes many of the issues
you have with wxPython.  It's not as heavily developed as the wxWin,
but Andreas is doing a great job of updates since taking it over.

It's based FLTK, which is intended to be small, fast, good-looking,
cross-platform API.  I chose it originally because it was all of these
and I found the API remarkably clean.  I don't recall the exact list
of depdendencies off hand, but it's nothing large other than FTLK,
optionally opengl, and perhaps the standard image libs.

Everybody probably has a slightly different definition of 'pythonic.'
pyFltk works via registering a callable as a callback. So that can be
a member-function on an object or static class function or a
stand-alone function, heck even a lamda.  The event handling/callback
mechanism meets my definition of pythonic. The wrapper even handles
overloaded functions transparently.

One of the greatest contributions Andreas made was allowing
subclassing of the FLTK widgets in python.

The downside is that it's not quite as polished yet as wxWindows.

This plug is because although I'm not actively involved anymore, I
think it has potential to be a great asset to the the Python community
and would to see the rough edges smoothed out.