Anyone know what 512 as a return code for fetchmail means?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Fri May 28 15:43:16 EDT 2004

On 2004-05-28, David Stockwell <winexpert at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I created a userid and put a couple of emails out there.  I've tried both
> imap and pop3 but both give an answer of 512.   I have also removed the
> files via a normal remove on the server and then done the below and it
> always returns 512.

The exit code from the program is in the upper byte of the
value returned by os.cmd().  So the return code is 2. According
to fetchmail's man page:

       The exit codes returned by fetchmail are as follows:

       [...]

       2      An error was encountered when attempting to open a
              socket to retrieve mail.  If you don't know what
              a socket is, don't worry about it -- just treat
              this as an 'unrecoverable error'.  This error can
              also be because a protocol fetchmail wants to use
              is not listed in /etc/services.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  over in west
                                  at               Philadelphia a puppy is