classes vs dicts

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Thu May 13 11:22:54 EDT 2004

> Still, I think it is an overgeneralization to say that classes are
> just syntactic sugar for dictionaries.

How about this; classes are syntactic sugar for handling object
namespaces.  Since object namespaces in Python are generally handled
with dictionaries, classes are therefore syntactic sugar for dictionaries.

Before I read the tutorial on classes when I was learning Python that
fateful afternoon years ago, I used dictionaries as the equivalent of
instance namespaces.  For about 20 minutes it bothered me that I had to
use quotation marks to get and set attributes, until I read the class
portion of the tutorial and said "ah-hah, classes embed dictionaries as
namespaces, perfect", or something like that.

  - Josiah