prefix for installed scripts

Kim Kulak kkulak at shaw.ca
Thu May 6 12:26:32 EDT 2004

Sridhar R wrote:

>>My question is: how do I find where _my_ program was installed?
>

>    You can write code in setup.py that creates a directory.py (say)
> file in $prefix/youapp/, which contains the `prefix`
>    Then you import that module and use `directory.prefix` to get your
> installatino prefix.

Yes, I think this is the way to do it. I was looking at the setup.py for
gaphor last night and noticed that it did this. Now I just have to look
deeper into how :-).

>>Is anybody working on: "python setup.py uninstall" ?
>

>    Again the same trick, you can code that in setup.py.  But a better
> option is to install also a `uninstall.py` script, so that source
> tarball is never needed after installation.

Thanks. I'll remember this too, but it's not a priority right now.

>    Actually I am working on an IDE with all such project management
> stuffs.
Now this sounds interesting!!! Is it available someplace where I can
have a look at it? I'm working on an IDE too. Give me another week to
complete some cleanup and documentation and I'd be happy to send you
what I have.

Kim