ld.so.1: fatal ImportError: ld.so.1 No such file or directory

Ruud de Jong ruud.de.jong at consunet.nl
Fri Mar 19 06:00:59 EST 2004

o'seally schreef:
> i'm Not trying to find a solution for a python problem, i'm in fact
> posting a solution to the notorius "ld.so.1: fatal ImportError:
> ld.so.1 No such file or directory" error that many people are
> complaining about on the newsgroups/internet. when they search on
> google for this kind of error, they'll find a link to my
> comments/advice/suggestions. i would think that would be very helpful
> to them.

Well,

This was not obvious from a first reading. I read your original post
again, and basically you say:

   Problem: fatal ImportError: xx.so.n No such file or directory
   Solution: make the file xx.so.n visible through LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Duh. This is essentially identical to the solutions that have been
offered time and again whenever this or a similar problem is reported.
Your post differs from most others because:
* it was not in response to a problem, making it more difficult to
   discover the intention of the post;
* you needed over 100 lines of text to provide this solution;
* the liberal use of CAPITALS (which gives your post a rather
   spam-like appearance);
* the digression on irrelevant subjects (why bring free or open source
   software in the discussion?)

Because of the low signal/noise ratio, I did not recognize this
to be a solution for a problem that happens from time to time.

On the contents of your post: you suggest to create symbolic links
in one of the directories in LD_LIBRARY_PATH to make the required
files visible, instead of appending their directory
to LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Be aware that symbolic links make the
files visible to *all* applications -- you may not always want that.
Manipulating the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable gives you
more flexibility, and you also don't need root privileges to do so.
You can also choose to manipulate LD_LIBRARY_PATH via a shellscript
wrapper for the actual program you want to run; this is especially
useful when there are naming collisions.

Regards,

Ruud.