Best way to run ipython inside of emacs shell?

Fernando Perez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 8 10:55:53 EST 2004

Hi,

Equis Uno wrote:

> I use meta-x shell to start a shell and then once I see a shell
> prompt I enter the python command and I get a well-behaved python
> shell inside of emacs.
>
> I'm trying to figure out the best way to run ipython inside of emacs.

Try instead putting the following in your .emacs file:

(require 'ipython)

Then, start the ipython shell via C-c ! (that is, Control-C followed by an
exclamation mark), _from_ a python buffer.  Don't do meta-x 'shell', because
it won't initialize properly the color handling.  Let me know if this works
ok. Feel free to mail me directly to fperez-AT-colorado-DOT-edu, I'm the
ipython main developer, or to the mailing lists.  If I get stuck (I'm no emacs
expert), we can ask Alex Schmolck, the original author of ipython support for
emacs.

cheers,