Python for email?

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Sat Mar 27 10:14:39 EST 2004

In article <mailman.472.1080396882.742.python-list at python.org>,
Skip Montanaro  <skip at pobox.com> wrote:

>    sean> Is there a good module for sending out email?
>
>Check out smtplib in the standard library:
>
>    http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-smtplib.html
>
>Skip

'Past time that I mention this:  I'm a big fan of the smtplib module.
In general, I think this is the direction Python-oriented developers
should take, and NOT to "shell out" to sendmail or such.  However,
one benefit of sendmail and comparable MTAs that's often not immedi-
ately apparent (and, with any luck, won't be for the life of any
specific project) is their knowledge about retries.  Projects that
face erratic connectivity either need to exploit an installed MTA,
or program their own retry management.

smtplib presents a few other, even more marginal issues.  If an
installed MTA enforces institutional standards (disclaimers, archi-
ving, ...), smtplib is likely to subvert those.  Decide for yourself
if that's a good or bad thing.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at phaseit.net>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net