wxpython appearance differs after py2exe

Wolfgang Strobl news2 at mystrobl.de
Fri Mar 5 18:56:34 EST 2004

Chad Haynes <haynesc at rockefeller.edu>:

>Hello,
>
>I have a wxPython application that I want to create an executable from.
>  Using py2exe produces a program that works very well, but the
>appearance is slightly different than when it was run from the command
>line.  The py2exe version is a little more bland.  Here are links to
>some screenshots:
>
>http://linkage.rockefeller.edu/chaynes/dos.jpg
>http://linkage.rockefeller.edu/chaynes/py2exe.jpg
>
>I'm runnin winXP, any ideas?

I guess your program somehow lost its ability to use the current
version of ComCtl32.dll. The visual style of the Windows XP controls is
implemented in comctl32.dll version 6, which is not distributable.  I
just noticed that there is a python.exe.manifest and a
pythonw.exe.manifest in in the python23 distro. Perhaps it is
sufficient to copy one of these to your py2exe dist, renaming it to
<app>.exe.manifest, on the way.   Not having done anything with
comctl32 et al for years, I'm just guessing here from an article I've
read on MSDN. But I can't do any harm, so why not just trying it.

--
Thank you for observing all safety precautions