PEP 328: Imports: Multi-Line and Absolute/Relative

Andrew Clover and-google at doxdesk.com
Wed Mar 10 08:18:53 EST 2004

Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:

>> -1.sibling_package

> Ugh!

Yes. Ugh indeed.

> What's wrong with ../sibling_package

Module paths are not filesystem paths. Emulating filesystem paths -
and Unix-specific filesystem paths at that - as part of module paths
is misleading and undesirable IMO.

> or ../../uncle_package/cousin_package

This completely reinvents module paths as Unix-style filesystem paths,
with implications for cacheing the cousin_package module in the
uncle_package object and so on. Too big a change for my tastes.

I don't see anything wrong with a parent-package magic module name like
the suggested __pkg__. It changes existing module path syntax least so
could even be sort-of supported on Python <=2.3 using import hooks.

It's not as if packages are usually nested deeply enough that the few
extra characters of length really matter.

--
Andrew Clover
mailto:and at doxdesk.com
http://www.doxdesk.com/