new to programming: suggestion

Eric @ Zomething eric at zomething.com
Tue Mar 16 02:34:38 EST 2004

alessandro wrote:

> i'm new in programming; i'd like to find a good programming book, full
> of examples guiding me step to step in the marvellous world of
> programming.

In terms of "books", Learning Python by Lutz and Ascher is very good.

The caveat might be that in 200 pages it will expose you to more programming concepts than you might have to deal with in 500 pages of a book of a 'lesser' language; still, "Learning Python" is clear and easy to absorb.  For example, I was flipping through pages 700-800 of Sams "C# Primer Plus" and did not find any concepts I wasn't familiar with after reading (sometimes skimming) "Learning Python", which is only 366 pages total including Appendices and the Index.

If you want a step-by-step book with tons of examples, and do not care what language, I would suggest "Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days", 885 pages.  It's quite comprehensible.  Get through that, or a good portion of that, then try Python, and I'll bet my $2 you really appreciate Python.

But if you're not stuck on the idea of buying a book, you might just download Python, keep IDLE open on your desktop, and go through some of the online tutorials you can find at http://www.Python.org.  IDLE makes it very easy to learn by doing.  Wonder if something works /this/ way?  Type it in and hit return.  There are great examples posted to this list every day.

Have fun!