A Byte of Python - Python Book / Tutorial

Calvin Spealman calvin at ironfroggy.com
Sun Mar 14 12:01:57 EST 2004

<python at g2swaroop.net> wrote:

>>I have a written a book on Python which serves as a tutorial or
>>guide for anyone who wants to learn Python. It specifically targets
>>beginners but experienced programmers can benefit a lot with the
>>special notes for them.

In regards to the Unicode string section, you end it to the sentence, "If
you use plain English, don't be worried about this.", which is a bad thing
to tell newbies and one of the largest, if not _the_ largest, reasons
internationalization is so hard to achieve. It is just so easy to ignore
good practices, like using Unicode strings even before you "have" to. By
this same logic, you could say that a Japanese coder should just use some
native character set that only has Japanese characters, because he/she
doesnt speak English. This is crap.

What am I complaining for? I'm just saying, if anything, we should say that
all strings should be unicode strings, and should do so in our own code as
well.