Python for large projects

Joe Mason joe at notcharles.ca
Wed Mar 24 12:07:48 EST 2004

In article <tyfptb22o9u.fsf at pcepsft001.cern.ch>, Jacek Generowicz wrote:
> Sometimes I want to run a program that I _know_ full well is full of
> bugs, dammit!  During the whole of the development process, the
> program is full of bugs, by definition ... I still want to be able to
> see how it behaves, in order to investigate what to do about
> it. Static type systems all too often forbid me to do this. (Even
> Hindley Milner type systems.)

But, like you said, type errors are the most trivial kinds of errors.
Why do you want to know what'll happen if you pass it a float instead of
an int, when you know full well that can never happen in practice due to
static typing?

(Wait, I know.  So that you'll know whether it degrades gracefully or
requires a big conversion function that will take effort to write.
Damn, I'm not much of a devil's advocate, am I?)

Joe