Python for large projects

Lothar Scholz llothar at web.de
Wed Mar 24 16:44:42 EST 2004

"Raaijmakers, Vincent \(GE Infrastructure\)" <Vincent.Raaijmakers at ge.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.337.1080136612.742.python-list at python.org>...
> I agree, Python is great but Smalltalk still rules...
>
> Especially the development environments. If Python would have had the
> same IDE it could so much more powerful.
> Still don't understand that no commercial products are available that
> even come close to that.
> I would like to pay for it. Mature plugins in Eclipse, a 'P'Builder from
> Borland.....
>
> Still, nothing compares to IDE's like VisualAge for Smalltalk. Indeed,
> so productive.

This has to do that Smalltalk and Python are both dynamical typed but
completely different in technical points. You simply can't do a lot of
things in Python that are so easy to do in an image based IDE.

Because python code can do a lot of things during the import and
imports can depend on the runtime there is a huge problem. This is a
problem that nobody can solve, without changing the python language.