Extracting info from OS/hardware

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Sun Mar 14 15:55:35 EST 2004

In article <nOq3c.9451$_c4.119500 at news4.e.nsc.no>,
Thomas Weholt <2002 at weholt.org> wrote:
>I need a piece of code to extract as much info about OS, current status and
>hardware from a machine as possible ( at least, all available partitions and
>free space on these, CPU-speed, free/total memory and stuff like that ) at
>one given moment on Linux and Windows.
>
>Any hints? Can I call something in win32all on Windows or read some file on
>linux? I'm not sure where to begin.
			.
			.
			.
I was hoping someone else would answer this.

My impression is that there are dozens of answers to this.
I know I've seen quite a few such utilities advertised in
places like Freshmeat.  I haven't kept track of them at
all.

"... as much info ... as possible ...":  whoooo!  Usually
when a manager says that to me, I ask for how much he's
willing to pay.  As it turns out, notions like "free
space", "CPU speed", and so on are surprisingly poorly
standardized.  It's far from clear what they mean for any
particular platform.

Sooooooo, what I usually do is define my requirements
carefully, and write up my own tool.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at phaseit.net>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net