Debugging Python extensions

vincent wehren vincent at visualtrans.de
Thu Mar 4 17:46:24 EST 2004

"Gus Tabares" <gustabares at verizon.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:c42b7031.0403041232.2941952 at posting.google.com...
| Hello all,
|
| I'm writing some Python extensions in C under Windows using Visual
| Studio .NET 2003. I want to be able to debug my extensions using .NET.
| I'm not very clear on the exact process of doing this.
|
| So far I have compiled a debug version of the 'pythoncore' project
| that is located in the Python sources. This has produced the
| python23_d.dll which I will use to link with my pyd.
|
| I have a few questions after this step:

| 1. Do I need to compile my own version of Python2.3 to debug my pyd?

  Yes, you need python23_d.dll (which you say you already have, as well as
  python_d.exe

| 2. Do I have to name my debug pyd as filename_d.pyd?

  Yes.

| 3. Does the init function need to be named initfilename_d?

  No.

| I understand that .NET 2003 is not "supported" (I believe only VS6 is)
| but I would think using .NET 2003 would not be much different aside
| from converting the projects to the new format.

I think it was Martin v. Löwis who created the VC++ 7.1 projects that live
in the PCBuild directory for the current development version - you can
download it off
http://cvs.perl.org/snapshots/python/python/python-latest.tar.gz
Check the readme.txt in that same directory for further details...

HTH,
Vincent Wehren