[OT] Compilable Python-like language?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sat Mar 20 17:42:22 EST 2004

Ed Cogburn wrote:

> I'm just curious if such a beast exists out there.  I've googled around
> some and read some programming language websites but I have yet to find
> a language similar to Python that can be compiled to binary.  Have I
> been looking in the wrong places?  I certainly can't be the only person
> to want a Pythonish language that can be compiled.

You certainly aren't the first to ask, and like many others you don't
give any reason for wanting it compiled.

Were you hoping for greater performance?  Resistance to reverse
engineering?  Easier packaging and distribution?  Or something else?
There are good and effective solutions for each of these problems, and
as a result relatively little reason you should want Python to be just
like those other languages in this respect.

-Peter