win gui thoughts? perhaps a non-Pythonic approach?

Chris Reay mrchameleon at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 25 21:07:45 EST 2004

<snip>
> i need some advice.  i'm a back end programmer historically, but have
> been exploring python for webapps and enjoying it.
>
> i need to build some simple Win client-server or standalone apps.
>
> the result needs to look professional and attractive, and i need
> something i can get working fairly quickly with a modest learning curve.
<snip>
> I contrast this with Delphi which is
<snip>
> any thoughts on this?

I know this is clp, but I've had some experience of this dilemma.

1. Delphi is good if the project is very simple and mostly GUI & data,
without much business logic.

2. Python is better if there's much data and logic, and (little or) no
GUI.

3. Python is a pleasure to write. Delphi is not. C# is somewhere in
between (particularly if you have some c/c++/Java experience).

4. My latest MS Win project requires all: GUI, data, C/S, logic. I'm
using Visual C#.net and so far I believe it's a good choice.

I'm a Python-phile who believes in using the right tool for the job.

Hth.