Python style guidelines

Josef Meile jmeile at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 11 04:48:35 EST 2004

> Is there something missing you think should be there?  There's no particular
> reason a PEP needs to be continually updated.  In particular, notions of
> good Python style haven't changed a lot over the past ten years.
>
> Skip
I agree, those are good guidelines, but I don't agree with:

- Don't compare boolean values to True or False using == (bool
   types are new in Python 2.3):

         No:  if greeting == True:
         Yes: if greeting:

What would happened if you do:

 >>> a='test'
 >>> if a.find('foo'):
...    print "foo was found"
foo was found

I think you should never do a direct boolean comparison. Instead
one should use a more elaborate boolean expresion like:

 >>> a='test'
 >>> if a.find('foo') >= 0:
...    print "foo was found"

You will have problems specially if you come from languages where
values minor than zero are considered to be false. I think the
previous sintax is ambiguous.

Regards,
Josef