Python as Glue Language

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Sun Mar 28 22:13:09 EST 2004

Maurice LING wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
>  From the documentations, it did mention that python is a good glue
> language. What does it really means by "glue language"? Does it means
> interfacing between modules of different languages? How does that work?
> Because it seems that only C is mentioned in the documentations and I'm
> not quite interested to program in C unless absolutely essential.

Not just C, but also C++, VB and C# (via COM and Python.NET), Java (via
Jython and JPE), Fortran (via PyFort) and anything else in the world via
sockets, files, pipes, shared memory, web services, standard Internet
protocols etc.

Python is good for gluing almost anything to almost anything in large
part because the Python community makes bridges to every interesting
technology in the universe.

  Paul Prescod