a desired python editor

Robert Boyd robhboyd at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 9 10:41:39 EST 2004

--- Jim Benson <jbenson at sextans.lowell.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   Does anyone know of a source code editor for
> python
> that has the following characteristics:
>
> 1) Freeware (desired)
> 2) Runs on Linux (required)
> 3) Syntax high lighting (required)
> 4) A separate window for each file opened (desired)
>
> 5) A way of seeing (and jumping to) the names of all
> methods/functions
>    data elements in the file. (required)

I use jEdit (jedit.org). It's written in Java and the
available plugins tend to be oriented towards Java
development, but it does Python syntax highlighting,
code browsing with ctags, can open separate windows
for each file or put them in tabs, etc, etc. Lots of
additional plugins like task lists, CVS, remote
editing through FTP or SFTP... you can even dock a
Jython interpreter into it, or a Python debugger. No
code completion for Python, though. I tried Eclipse
for Python development for about a week then went back
to jEdit.

Rob