Static Typing in Python

Jacek Generowicz jacek at lxplus057.cern.ch
Mon Mar 15 15:30:33 EST 2004

JCM <joshway_without_spam at myway.com> writes:

> Jacek Generowicz <jacek.generowicz at cern.ch> wrote:
> >> Python will allow you to multiply string with integers for example ;)
>
> > Yes, and in that respect it is weakly typed.
>
> Here I disagree.  Python has a rule for multiplying a string and an
> integer--this isn't an exmaple of weak typing.  No re-interpretation
> of data representation is being done.

I don't disagree with you :-)

As I keep saying, weak typing is a wishy-washy concept, and your
working definition has a lot of merit. Could you cite anything that
uses your definition? (I'm not asking for these to argue with you, but
to have something to cite in situations when I might want to back up
your working definition.)