wxPython "Frames within Frames"

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Mar 16 15:50:34 EST 2004

Simon Erikson wrote:

> I would like to build an app consisting of a "root" frame that can
> contain an arbitrary number of child frames (the user will click to
> create them).  Each of these child frames needs the full functionality
> of a frame (title,menu,status bars, min,max,close icons, scroll bars,
> sizing, moving).  In addition, the user must be able to create
> grandchild frames within these child frames, to an arbitrary depth (in
> practice limited to 10 or so).
>
> As I understand it, MDI provides the means of creating the root and
> first generation frames, but not the further generations.

I'm afraid I can't help with the task as described, but I wanted to draw
your attention to the fact that many people consider MDI to be 'evil',
and it occurs to me that a massively nested MDI could only magnify the
problems many times over.

In case you're interested, I found a couple of links to start you off:

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=2748
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/2002-August/msg00228.html

(This is probably a somewhat religious matter, and in any case perhaps
you have very good reasons for wanting MDI, but just in case you aren't
set on doing it, other options might also be much simpler to code.)

-Peter