Python style guidelines

Jorgen Grahn jgrahn-nntq at algonet.se
Fri Mar 12 14:29:25 EST 2004

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 17:39:31 -0500, Will Berry <wberry at wberry.org.x> wrote:
> Style guidelines and coding standards are the devil!  I would enjoy
> nothing more than reading an ACM paper entitled "Coding Standards
> Considered Harmful".  I've never seen a single real-life case where the

Not an ACM paper, but ...

  http://www.algonet.se/~jgrahn/anticodingrules.pdf

Disclaimer: it's an unfinished draft, and it was written in anger
during a period when I was ruled by a really stupid standard.

> argument for coding standards for that reason.  Or, for large projects
> and open source projects, have an auto-styler run on all checked-in
> code.  That would at least do away with the spaces-or-tabs problem.

Argh! An auto-styler is the only thing I would hate more than a coding
standard... Coding style is style. People have style, programs do not.

/Jorgen

PS. I just read that PEP for the first time, and it's one of the most
reasonable style guides I've seen (meaning I already did most of that ;-).

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <jgrahn@      ''If All Men Were Brothers,
\X/                algonet.se>    Would You Let One Marry Your Sister?''