asking for python community opinion about groovy

SBrunning at trisystems.co.uk SBrunning at trisystems.co.uk
Thu Mar 18 06:51:22 EST 2004

> From: menceur at hotmail.com [mailto:menceur at hotmail.com]
> The Java community is working on the adoption of Groovy as a JCP
> standard (http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=241).
> Groovy is a dynamic/agile language for Java
> (http://groovy.codehaus.org/).
>
> IMO, it will be better to support the Jython project. Because Jython
> exists, it's very useful and powerful. In fact, I think java community
> want to have its own "scripting" language because java community is
> not open-minded enough and will not accept to use something for the
> outside.

I raised this with James Strachan and a London Java meetup when he first
dreamt up Groovy. Thing is, he likes Java syntax, and doesn't really like
Python that much:

<http://wiki.codehaus.org/groovy/PythonLanguage>

AFAIC, I don't see anything in Groovy to tempt me away from Python (and
Jython). But some people want to stick to something that looks as close to
Java as possible, and Jython may not be for them.

Anthony Eden has pointed out that even for these people, there is a more
established solution than Groovy:

<http://weblog.anthonyeden.com/archives/000085.html>

All that said, James is a lovely bloke, so good luck to him. May the best
dynamic language win!

Cheers,
Simon B.
simon at brunningonline.net