PEP 318

Stephen Horne steve at ninereeds.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Mar 22 14:40:11 EST 2004

On 22 Mar 2004 11:25:01 -0800, artur_spruce at yahoo.com (AdSR) wrote:

>Just done a quick check:
>
>$ find /lib/python2.3/ -name "*.py" -exec egrep
>"(class|static)method\W" {} ';' | wc --lines
>     49
>
>Not all of them are calls, and all this in 773 *.py files. I guess
>this says something about importance...

Actually, given that support for staticmethod and classmethod is very
recent, it is rather surprising that it appears in that many places.

I wouldn't expect existing libraries to be updated just to make use of
'staticmethod' or whatever. New features mainly get used in new code,
and even then there is the drag factor as people take time to adopt
them.

--
Steve Horne