PEP 318

Stephen Horne steve at ninereeds.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Mar 22 14:13:33 EST 2004

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 07:33:08 -0500, Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com>
wrote:

>> Surely it *is* a list - a list of modifier functions to apply to the
>> original function.
>
>If it's a list, then just as surely a tuple should be allowed in its
>place, as in every (?) other such case in Python that I can think of.
>Would that be part of the proposal?  (I haven't read the full PEP, sorry.)

I don't think tuples were mentioned in the PEP, though I only skimmed
through it quickly. But, well...

>(I know, "foolish consistency is the hobgoblin blah blah..." :-)

Yes, I have to agree.

The list-like syntax isn't too confusing in this context. A
tuple-based context would be. With parens, it would look a lot like
having too lists of arguments. Without, well, IMO it'd be even worse.

Which still shouldn't be read as me expressing a preference - the 'as'
syntax is roughly equally good IMO.

--
Steve Horne