Sending bulk email from a Python script

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Tue Mar 9 12:41:35 EST 2004

In article <2004030816344216807%cs1spw at bathacuk>,
Simon Willison  <cs1spw at bath.ac.uk> wrote:

>I'm looking into building a simple one-way (announce only) mailing list
>system. The system will bulk-send messages to lists of around 5,000 email
>addresses. What's the most efficient way of delivering this kind of email
>volume from a Python script? The script will be running on a dedicated
>server with full access to sendmail etc.

Don't use sendmail directly.  Just send via SMTP and let the server
handle the batching.  You might consider using a better MTA (postfix or
Exim) unless you've got an admin you *really* likes sendmail.

"Do not taunt happy fun for loops. Do not change lists you are looping over."
--Remco Gerlich, comp.lang.python