Need Help Using Py2Exe

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Mon Mar 22 15:36:00 EST 2004

"upward_spiral2001" <kschnee at xepher.net> writes:

> Hi. I've got a neat artificial intelligence project I want to
> distribute as an EXE. I'm using Python, Pygame, and Numeric. My
> problem is: When I use py2exe, I'm told "The following modules
> appear to be missing: AppKit, Foundation, dotblas, objc." And then
> my EXE crashes with a "segmentation fault." I tried the command:
>
> python setup.py py2exe --ignores [those modules]
>
> It then compiles w/o complaint, but the EXE still crashes. The
> setup.py is very simple:
>
> from distutils.core import setup
> import py2exe
> setup(console=["NissIslandDemo.py"])

Most certainly one of the extension modules (either from pygame, or from
Numeric, or even both) is importing another module from C code, and
py2exe cannot find these dependencies.

You have to find it yourself, and include it in the py2exe build.

An interesting experiment would be to set an PY2EXEVERBOSE environment
variable and run the crashing executable in this environment.  The
PY2EXEVERBOSE variable does the same as the PYTHONVERBOSE env var or the
-v flag for the normal Python interpreter - imports are printed to the
standard output.  Maybe this can help to find the missing module?

Thomas