A 'Python like' language

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Sat Mar 27 14:07:51 EST 2004

    Stephen> Different people have different tab sizes set up in their
    Stephen> editors. As long as you don't mix tabs and spaces, the
    Stephen> indentation itself will be clear - but having a different tab
    Stephen> size can break other aspects of vertical alignment, damaging
    Stephen> readability in other ways.  It isn't as bad as the problems
    Stephen> that arise when mixing tabs and spaces for indentation, but IMO
    Stephen> it is bad enough.

Tim Peters used to complain often enough that email messages I posted which
contained bits of Python code I typed into them contained mixtures of tabs
and spaces (which muffed the layout in his mail reader) that I finally added
a little bit of code to my XEmacs setup to untabify all outgoing mail:

    (defun untab-buffer ()
      (untabify (point-min) (point-max)))
    (add-hook 'mail-send-hook 'untab-buffer)

Tim hasn't complained about that aspect of my Python since then.  (Other
things, yes, but not tabs).

Skip