Python bytecode compatibility between interpreter versions

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Sun Mar 21 09:59:26 EST 2004

    Jon> [ expand jar file - presto! instant app ]

    Aahz> .... I am sure that simple cases work as you describe, but I'd
    Aahz> like a cite for Java working as you describe in general.

    Jon> Yes.  Java works like that ... [ mentions Batik ]

The fundamental difference between Java and Python in this regard is that
the JVM must absolutely be part of the defined API since it is delivered
separate from the compiler.  Whoever does this stuff probably has to go to
great lengths to preserve compatibility.  This is not the case for the
Python VM, since a new version is delivered with each distribution.

Skip